Saturday, December 6, 2008

I've Got an Exhibit on Victorian Fashion! Yay!

Tomorrow is the opening of my exhibit "The Past Reimagined: Victorian Fashion and the Designs of Eladrienne Laval" at the Whitehorn Memorial Library in Caledon Victoria City from 1-3 SLT. You will get to see the process of how I work--from source images and sketches to the final product. It made me realize I've made a lot of pieces since I've started. The exhibit's just a fraction of them! With the help of head librarian JJ Drinkwater, I also put together an exhibit about Paris' first "couturier" Charles Frederick Worth, who elevated dressmaking to an art form...With library curator Siri Woodget's help, I put together an exhibit about one of Worth's patrons, Boston socialite Isabella Stewart Gardner, who was independent and bold and did things her way...
Here I am in the reproduction dress I created that uses a texture from the actual fabric. There will be a contest and a lucky winner will get to walk away with this dress tomorrow...
And yes, I did a tiny version! I don't know if most folks know that I have a history degree and was a graphic designer for years. I've found that really helps with the pieces I make and I always feel like I am still learning how to do something new. I love what I do. The exhibit runs until March 1, but I hope to see you all there tomorrow!

No comments: