Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Transformation & Transcending

Bettina Tizzy decided to cease posting on her NPIRL blog yesterday. It was always one of my faves because being an explorer like I am, I enjoyed visiting a lot of the places she discussed. It was also a great showcase of the imaginations of SL's content creators. She also gave me the opportunity to participate in the Rezzable Garden of NPIRL Delights last year. I know I was thrilled to be among some of the most creative folks on the Grid. She has said that she will continue to tweet what she finds and the inworld groups themselves are not disbanding. She has been busy in RL and I also get the feeling that she is working on something else great.

I can absolutely understand the feeling of wishing to move on to something else in a way. Blogging and keeping up with the social media of SL in addition to your RL can be demanding. I know that my friend and virtual sis-in-law Zoe Connolly recently did the same, deTwittering and dePlurking and unblogging. I do believe there is a point that one has to make a choice as to how much they wish to manage their time on SL-related activities, even if it means leaving SL altogether like Eshi did recently.

SL--and virtual worlds in general--are meant to be a complement to one's RL. We change. Our needs and wants, both inworld and out, do too. We transform and sometimes transcend them. And there is nothing wrong with that. I wish much luck for all three of them in their future endeavors, and I'm sure it's not the last any of us will hear from them.

3 comments:

Diamanda Gustafson said...

It's only normal. One way or the other, many of us come to this burnout point. I have ceased both blogging and twittering not by conscious choice, but because my time allocation has brought both activities very low in the priority scale - I still read a lot, but I have neither the time, energy or content to write about.

DG

Eladrienne Laval said...

Yes. I know I have been blogging on a lesser scale myself and the focus has changed somewhat to a kind of bigger picture thing. Sometimes Twitter's a result of the fact that I text a lot in RL so it's no prob for me to fire off some during the course of the day.

You and I are about the same SL age Dia. It makes me wonder what it's like for those who are even "older" than we are.

John Aardema said...

While the world was going to Hell, it was a nice place to get away to. But it hasn't blown over yet, and SL is just another diversion. So back to the cold little world of smells and cat hair and middle-age drift.

Gryffin Hax